Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
Another week, another snack responsibility at my son's school. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a snack that isn't terrible for you and that a group of discerning 4 year olds will eat? Oye! In the midst of my struggle, I came upon this recipe for strawberry oatmeal bars from Well Plated. They looked simple enough, so I gave it a try...
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (gluten free if needed)
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or substitute all purpose flour or 1:1 baking flour to make gluten free)
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (or substitute melted coconut oil to make vegan/dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1/2 small lemon)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups, small-diced strawberries (10 ounces)
For the Vanilla Glaze (I chose not to do for the kiddos, but if it had been for me this definitely would have happened):
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk (any kind you like)
Step One. Preheat your oven to 375°. Line an 8 by 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. The paper should be hanging over the sides (this will allow for easier extraction).
Step Two. In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger, and salt. Add in the melted butter and stir it until well combined. Take half the mixture and press it into the baking pan (you'll use the rest for the top layer).
Step Three. Put half of the strawberries on top of the crust. Then sprinkle the cornstarch, lemon juice and granulated sugar over the top. Put the remaining strawberries on top of that and then put the remainder of the crust mixture on top.
Step Four. Put the bars in the oven for 35 to minutes, or until the fruit is bubbly and the crust has slightly browned.
Step Five. Let it cool completely (this is the hard part) and if you choose to add the glaze, do that when it's completely cool.
These strawberry oatmeal bars are an easy, homemade treat that everyone is sure to love!