Fig & Feta Flatbread
This post contains affiliate links.
One of these days, I'm going to have to figure out how to keep plants alive. Until then, I'll just be going over to my parents' house and taking the figs off their trees so I can use them in a recipe.
I was never really a fan of figs growing up. My mom loved fig preserves, but that always tasted too sweet for me. It wasn't until I got older and started experimenting with them in recipes that my love for them grew.
Today's fig-inspired dish is one that you're sure to do over and over again because it's just that easy. This fresh fig, feta, and caramelized onion flat bread is great as a main course or appetizer and is packed with flavor!
Let's get started...
- 3 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 flatbreads (8-inch)
- 2 Tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh arugula
- 3 large fresh figs, sliced
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Step One. Place the butter in a cast iron skillet (or regular skillet) over medium high heat.
Step Two. Once the butter is melted and skillet is hot, put in your sliced onions. Every 5 minutes, you're going to stir them. After about 50-60 minutes, your onions should be nice and caramelized (I like to add a teaspoon of brown sugar to the skillet when they're almost done).
Step Three. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
Step Four. Place the flatbread on baking sheet and top them with a generous amount of the caramelized onions. Put a tablespoon of feta cheese on each flat bread and bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
Step Five. Remove the flatbreads from the oven and allow them to cool slightly (just a couple minutes). Next, add some arugula and sliced figs on top of each flatbread and drizzle with olive oil. Add a little salt and pepper to the top, slice, and enjoy!
- WOOD CUTTING BOARD – https://amzn.to/2NfUFlU
- WHITE PLATES – https://amzn.to/2zaqw4q
- WOOD HANDLE BOARD – https://amzn.to/2KFn5UU
- CERAMIC KNIFE – https://amzn.to/2z2xmch
- JADE GREEN BOWL - https://amzn.to/2MF9HRm
- CAST IRON SKILLET - https://amzn.to/2lQvslL
- WOODEN SPOON - https://amzn.to/2KF6Tmm
- BAKING SHEET – https://amzn.to/2z5syD4
- BREVILLE SMART OVEN AIR – https://amzn.to/2tOAe7H
- TRIVET – https://amzn.to/2Niga5C
- OLIVE OIL DISPENSER - https://amzn.to/2lNoYnB
- SALT CONTAINER - https://amzn.to/2NhSKgN
- PIZZA CUTTER - https://amzn.to/2z4Qh6j
- GREEN HEARTH & HAND PLATE - https://amzn.to/2tNCKeu
If you'd like more recipes like these, follow me on Pinterest!