Sweet & Fluffy Honey Cornbread
On a recent trip to Kerrville, Texas for Toast From the Host's "Toast 2 Texas Getaway", one night we had a Texas themed dinner. With all the Texas staples present - fried chicken, chili, and sweet tea, I knew we'd need some cornbread to go with Hello There Love's turkey chili. But this is no regular cornbread, oh no! This sweet cornbread is so delicious and the honey in it is a perfect accompaniment with a spicy chili. Want the recipe? Here it is!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place 9" cast iron skillet in oven.
2. In a bowl, combine the corn meal (not including the extra tablespoon), flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate, small bowl, combine the butter and honey.
4. Add the honey mixture to the cornbread mixture. Also add in the eggs and milk. Whisk to combine.
5. Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the oil in the skillet. Turn the skillet sideways until all the sides are coated in the oil about halfway up the sides.
6. Sprinkle the tablespoon of cornmeal on the bottom of the skillet and then pour in the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.
7. After you've removed it from the oven, let it cool for2-3 minutes and serve it with honey butter.
If you'd like to see more recipes like this, follow me on Pinterest!