The BEST Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
So, a while back I posted on Instagram a question to my followers. The question was "what should I get my kids' teachers?" Little did I know when I asked the question that one of my daughter's teachers would actually comment on it. Ha! She stated that she wanted food, so when you ask, you shall receive!
This hearty chicken pot pie recipe is the best one I've ever tasted. My dad makes this one several times a year and it's originally from this Disney Cookbook. And after all, when something is from Disney, of course it's going to be the best. But we have changed a few items on it, so here's our version of this classic chicken casserole.
Yield: 1 pie (4 servings)
- 2 cups chicken tenderloin, uncooked
- 1 can peas
- 1/2 cup raw carrots, cubed
- 1/2 cup raw celery, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk or half and half
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 refrigerated pastry dough for one single crust pie
- 1 egg, beaten
1. In boiling salted water, simmer chicken, carrots, and celery until chicken is fully cooked and vegetable are tender (but still firm - about 15 minutes). Drain well and set aside.
2. In a medium sized skillet, melt butter and add flour. Cook for 5 minutes and add milk (or I prefer half and half). Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened (about 10 minutes), Add chicken stock to sauce. Then add the cheese and remove from heat. Add cooked chicken and vegetables and mix well.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Pour mixture into deep dish pie plate and cover with pie dough. You can create a basket pattern or simply lay the full sheet across the top with a few slits cut in the top. Brush the top with the beaten egg.
5. Place the pie plate on a baking sheet (to catch any spills) and bake in the oven for 45 to minutes.
This recipe is a staple around our house and we hope you enjoy it as well. It doesn't freeze well, so if you plan on making this one, you'll want to avoid making any ahead and freezing it.
If you'd like more recipes like this, follow me on Pinterest!